close
close

Judge seeks to limit Trump statements that could endanger officers in classified documents case – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports

WASHINGTON (AP) — The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s secret documents case in Florida on Tuesday denied prosecutors’ request to ban the former president from making public statements that would expose law enforcement officials participating in the prosecution. could endanger.

U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon said in her order that prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team did not give defense attorneys sufficient time to discuss the request before filing it Friday evening. She dismissed the request without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could refile it.

The request followed a distorted claim by Trump last week that the FBI agents who searched his Mar-a-Lago estate in August 2022 were “authorized to shoot me” and were “locked and loaded, ready to take me out and endanger my family. .”

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was referring to the revelation in a court document that during the search in Palm Beach, Florida, the FBI followed a standard policy prohibiting the use of deadly force except when the officer conducting the search reasonably believes that the subject such force creates an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury to the officer or any other person.

Prosecutors said in court filings late Friday that Trump’s statements, which falsely suggest that federal agents were “complicit in a plot to kill him,” implicated law enforcement officials — some of whom noted they will be called as witnesses at his trial — expose the risk of threats. , violence and intimidation.”

Defense attorneys in a court filing late Monday called prosecutors’ proposed restriction on Trump’s speech “unconstitutional” and noted that the names of law enforcement officers in the case are subject to a protective order preventing their public release. Defense attorneys said they asked Smith’s team on Friday if the two sides could meet on Monday before prosecutors filed their request to give the defense time to discuss it with Trump. They called prosecutors’ decision to file the motion Friday evening “bad faith, plain and simple.”

Trump is facing dozens of felony charges accusing him of illegally hoarding classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate that he took with him after leaving the White House in 2021 and then the FBI’s efforts to get them back, hindered. He has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing.

It is one of four criminal cases facing Trump in his bid to reclaim the White House, but aside from the ongoing hush-money prosecution in New York, it is unclear whether any of the other three will go to trial before the November election. The decision came as attorneys were making closing arguments in the hush money case.

Trump has already imposed restrictions on his speech in two of the other cases because of inflammatory comments that officials say threaten the integrity of the prosecutions.

In the New York case, Trump has been fined and threatened with prison for repeatedly violating a gag order that bars him from making public statements about witnesses, jurors and some others involved in the case.

Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sign up for our newsletter and receive the latest news straight to your inbox

Back To Top